Friday, February 14, 2014

TRIMMING DOWN




Now I know the title above may lead you to think that this post about weight loss …. I'm sorry to report that this post is not about a diet. This lengthy post is about a lifestyle change. A Financial change. I tend to post a great deal on finances because I truly hope to inspire you to make your finances a priority. Maybe these posts will help you spend less,  maybe it will help you to be inspired to create an "eliminate my debt" plan or help to inspire you to establish retirement fund. Living financially responsible allows you to live a richer life, not just in monetary terms but to be able to live a life that is free of money stresses. Sure emergencies happen, but if you prepare for those unexpected life moments you will be one step ahead of the game.  With this post, I want to show you how to trim down your expenses without losing things you enjoy. I encourage you to read this post...

I've learned the hard way and today I am thankful for those experiences by reason of they taught me what not to do. I live in a city where organic almond butter can cost upwards to $22 a jar.  Even with all the absurdly costs associated with  living in NYC I have managed to  save more money than I thought I could due to the fact that I am financially responsible. That doesn't mean I don't splurge, my splurges have become calculated and if I truly want something I wait for a sale and do my research. YSL Tributes are no longer a purchase I make without thinking. If I want something, I budget. I budget to the last dollar and update my budget-er daily . Every morning before I start my day I go through my finances. It’s enjoyable for me and it keeps me accountable.




There was a period where I needed to take back the control from my reckless spending. Every non essential purchase I made went under the knife.  Starbucks was no longer a daily trip, buying trendy clothes halted completely, $40 Soul Cycle classes went form 3 times a week to zero times a week. Dinner take out 4 times a week  stopped not only for costs but for health reasons. People in my life questioned how and why I was doing it, was there no more enjoyment for me?

Here’s the thing, though. In the end, I didn't really give up anything that I enjoy. I didn't cut those things. Instead, I trimmed away the unnecessary.

So, what is the unnecessary?

Is it necessary to spend $6 on a coffee I can easily make at home? Trendy clothes... Not needed. If you have a great classic wardrobe you can look 10x’s better than another following a trend.  Soulcyle...ugh I have to admit on occasion I miss this one … but I learned I can recreate  my own soulcyle experience  at the gym I already belong to. Take out dinner? This was adding lb’s to my hips and I wasn't satisfied with the nutritional value or lack there of of my dinners. I learned how to cook and whip up meals for an entire week. Added bonus: I am able to save more money and lose weight. It’s really a win win situation.



So now, when I make a financial trim down I ask myself these questions…

Do I really miss this? Well, I've changed as a person and I don’t really enjoy certain things I once used to. Expensive coffee daily wasn't being enjoyed like it should be.


Can I enjoy this at a lower cost? Now it doesn't have to be an exact duplicate, just something similar. For instance, when I have some extra spending cash from my budget I normally bank it but if by chance there is a special going on for a spinning class I will make smart purchase and buy “a” class for half the amount.

If I miss something, do I lose anything by doing it less frequently? Will my life collapse if I reduce the number of times I ___? I found reducing the frequency made it more special when I actually do them now. Instead of ordering in dinner 4 times a week like I once used to, Ill order my favorite dish from my favorite Greek restaurant once every other week. I allow it to be my "me time". I prepare it by plating it on a dinner plate and savor it with a bottle of wine. I make it special, and something I wouldn't necessarily do every night. TIP: If you live in NYC or plan on going, you have to check out Ithaka and order their Salata apo Thalassina. A splurge worth every penny, this is the one take out I splurge on.





If you are a happy person and truly savor all of what life has to offer you, you can can do this. Frugality fails when you are miserable. (via the simple dollar)


The key is to trim away the things that actually turn out to be not all that important  to you, and its often hard to tell which is which until you cut it out for awhile. 

I challenge you to try to eliminate a few unnecessary's.  See how things turn out and put that money you would have spent into your savings. Watch it accumulate and maybe when you do get around to do the thing that was unnecessary you may enjoy it a bit more. 

xo
Meems

Id love to know what you will be trimming down? 

No comments:

Post a Comment