Wednesday, April 10, 2013

BIG APPLE FRESH

 
 
Saturday mornings I make it a point to visit my local famers market on 82nd Street. Its located in the Upper East Side, next to a Hungarian church. This part of the Upper East Side was once fully inhabited by Hungarians, Czechs & Germans living side by side. Personal fact: My mothers side of the family is from Hungary, making me 1/2 Hungarian. I personally love hearing the Hungarian language being spoken on the streets while I shop, brings back memories.....
 
Back to the post ..... At the local market you can buy anything from produce to cured meats. Ive compiled a list for you of the in season produce you should try to buy at your local farmers market. Note - Some items on this list wont be found at your market, head to the grocery store and buy them in the organic aisle.

  1.  Apples
  2. Artichokes
  3. Asparagus
  4. Beets
  5. Broccoli
  6. Carrots
  7. Cauliflower
  8. Cooking Greens
  9. Grapefruit
  10. Lemons
  11. Lettuce
  12. Onions
  13. Oranges
  14. Peas
  15. Spinach
  16. Strawberries
  17. Tangerines
  18. Winter Pears
Happy Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment