Thursday, May 23, 2013

A BETTER WORK DAY


 


 
 
 
Work is something that we all muddle through at times - Luckily for me, I love my job, team and days at the office. It’s not what I plan on doing forever but its helping me get to the place I want and will be at one day. Hopefully your career enables you to be involved in your passion and if not this is a great post on making your work day better. Happy with your career or not, we can all bring a bit more pleasure into our daily work lives. With that in mind, here some tips that aim at doing just that.


 
Before your work day begins……
Too often the morning routine is rushed because we want more precious moments of sleep.  Ive been guilty of hitting the snooze button one too many times. The flip side of waking up earlier than necessary is to create a positive start to the day.  For example, give yourself enough time to sit down and enjoy a cup of tea while watching the news or catching up on your favorite blogs (ahem, fitness fits) or head to the gym for a heart pumping workout alongside other early morning roosters. The intent is to choose something that energizes you for the rest of the day.
 
 

 
Bring In the Outside
Plants and Fresh flowers do the trick for me. Bamboo sticks are known to bring good luck, if I could tile the floor with them I would! Regardless of what it is from the outside you bring in, the idea is to bring life into your work area to keep a brighter and happier space.

 


Fashion Files
The majority of us are at our jobs approximately 250 days out of the year. Why not look your best? Looking your best boosts your self-confidence, relays to those that you are a professional and expect to be taken seriously. Its sets a standard and a right impression for the company you work with. Grooming does the same (wish I could send this post to a few coworkers in my office). Self-confidence increases an optimistic mood for the day and hopefully it will spill over to those around you.

 


Early bird gets the worm…
Don’t throw your hands up at me yet.  I know I just asked you to wake up earlier, and now I’m asking you to arrive at work earlier, but consider this.  By arriving thirty minutes early, you’re already on the offensive.  This extra time gives you an opportunity to fine tune the itinerary you have set for the day, take a deep breath and eliminates the likelihood of rushing through your day.  Granted, it still might happen, but at least you have given your to-do list a fighting chance.  The bone I will throw you, after all, if you’ve made it this far, you’ve woken up potentially one whole hour earlier than you normally do, leave work on time.  No extra hours tonight.  You’ve earned it!

 
 

 
 
Create a better atmosphere
If you are in a business where you have your own work space, set the tone.  Play some music.  For me, I play Pandora, set to Cold Play. Whatever will provide a bit more serenity in your day, bring it into your workspace. Clean your space – nothing makes me more anxious than a messy personal space. File, dust and spritz Mrs. Meyer Room Fragrance in your area to keep it smelling clean and fresh.

 
 

Have a Plan
In order to feel you have accomplished something during your day, create a to-do list at the beginning during those extra thirty minutes you have allowed yourself.  By looking at a to do list, you allow yourself to have an objective to achieve by the day’s end.  I know the feeling I find when I get to cross something off feels almost as rewarding as completing the task itself. Don’t stress if your to do list rolls over into the next day. Your more productive when you put all your energy into one item and then move onto the next. Don’t multitask if it will diminish the quality of your work. Quality over quantity.
 


 

Take a Break
Regardless of the day you’ve had, you will need to give yourself a break. Some may be able to take a break at lunch, but sometimes this turns into business as well.  Try to find some time during your day where you can decompress, take a deep breath and not feel hurried, rushed, pressed or sought after.  One of my colleagues brings a book to work with her every day and instead of conversing with others during her lunch time, simply sits a bit away from everyone and reads her book of pleasure.  Otherwise she is very social and engaging, but we all know to give her some time to unwind.  Whatever works! For me, this is lunch outside in the park by myself with no distractions….
 
 


Give Yourself a Reward
Now this reward may be found at work, but most likely it will be found after you have left the office.  It could be in the form of a happy hour, time with a friend, a quick beauty pick-me-up, or time with your feet up when you first arrive at home.  Whatever you choose, let it be something you will look forward to as you are working during the day. I personally love to go home, blast my most recent downloaded tunes ,change into my gym clothes and have a personal dance party before heading out to the gym. Gets me pumped before my workout and re-energizes me for the rest of my day.


These are just a few ideas that hopefully will bring good moments  into your  otherwise hectic work day.  If you're inspired to bring even more into your life, think about creating a Sunday routine that allows your week to flow better.
 
I hope this Thursday finds your place of business buzzing with better energy and better spirits!

No comments:

Post a Comment