Thursday, March 6, 2014

THOUGHTS ON THURSDAY....





Late last night after class, I literally felt like I was sleep walking. I was cold, hungry and tired. As I was walking towards the subway I saw what every NY’er loves… a lit up cab light! As I started walking towards the street I passed by a man with ashes on his forehead. & at that moment  it struck me....I cant get in the cab. I made a promise to myself to not spend money frivolously for the next 40 days. Having read a post on How to be Chic I was excited to start my own no spend challenge for Lent.

This was one of my luxuries I gave up for Lent. Some might think a cab is a necessity, but living in NYC it’s a luxury. My subway ride cost me less than $3. The cab I was so excited to see, would have cost me nearly $30 tip included. It ‘s so easy to spend money here in this city without thinking and I see how many people just cant save money.

I strive to be the best I can be for myself and my future family.  I’m no longer a huge spender but still find myself buying things here and there that aren't really necessary and contribute to my reckless spending.

I live in a city filled with buyers temptation everywhere  you turn, now imagine living on those same streets where you can go for a walk and see all the temptation just outside your doorstep. A trip to a pharmacy here and a trip to a boutique there, I've nearly spent my spending budget on items I can truly do without. This is the reason why I chose to go spend free for the next 40 days. I am hoping to learn more discipline over the coming weeks. With age, I’ve found I’ve tightened up my spending belt but I can always tighten a bit more. Doesn’t mean I will be losing my enjoyment in life….I will be gaining so much more throughout the coming weeks and I'm looking forward to seeing how much I save.

If there is something  I want over the next 40 days I plan on writing it down and adding it to Pinterest. Sometimes just seeing an item gives you the same satisfaction as buying it. How many products in your makeup drawer do you actually use?

I know there will be challenges ahead of me, times where I want to break the promise. But I stand (write before) you with all good intentions and when I make a promise to myself I do not break it.  The times where I know there will be temptation I will repeat my promise to myself and feel proud knowing I stuck to my word. At the end of my 40 day journey, I will have gained more buy spending less.

Lately, I've taken up reading as a hobby and a relaxing nightly ritual. Books cost money so I plan on using my schools library as well as the public library. Also, I enjoy ZITE which is a free app on my mobile device that streams all recent articles solely based on my personal interests chosen by me. If you don’t zite, I highly suggest you do!

As for cabs, not taking them. I will utilize all forms of public transportation. Dining out? I will make dinners at home and get creative in the kitchen. If I run out of a product, unless it is a necessity I will l use what I have. I have extra shampoos, tons of makeup from when I used to wear more and clothes I can wear in fresh new ways. “Use what you have” is my motto for the next coming weeks.

If there is an item I want for the apartment, I will pinterest the item and hope that after 40 days I will either forget about it or if it is needed it will have gone on sale. I'm excited to see how this goes, I do hope you come along for the journey even if it is a no spending weekend or week for you. You don’t have to be as aggressive as I, but I simply ask that you try. Even if it is for one day.

Learn to simplify your life and spend less. Save more money and be happy with what you have in your home. I'm pretty sure you have more than you need, put those items to use and don’t buy excess. Make a conscious decision when you are checking out and look in your basket. Do you NEED that item or do you WANT the item. This should get you started to a no spend day/weekend/week or Lent journey. Let me know how it goes and I will share my journey through out the coming weeks with you.

Have a beautiful day!

Xo

Meems

No comments:

Post a Comment